Wednesday, June 24, 2009

e) Jesus, because Jesus is always the answer

High school. Bekah, Kamerie, Megan, and me. Mr. Blanscet's Chemistry class. We were taking a "group test" (which was a complete joke seeing that it didn’t count for anything anyway). For those of you who aren't Bekah, Kamerie, Megan, or me: Mr. Blanscet's class = play time. So, regarding this test. It was multiple choice, what's the answer a, b, c, or d? We didn't pay attention in class/study for that class so we didn’t know (except for Kamerie, she knew a lot of them because she's crazy and we're pretty sure she had extraterrestrial guidance). Anyway, for the one's we didn't know, we added the answer "e) Jesus, because Jesus is always the answer." And it's true.

So what's the moral of this story?

a) Chemistry is all one big joke. Ha ha ha! Get it?
b) Don’t pay attention in class. Don't study for your classes. Education is overrated anyway.
c) Aliens exist and communicate to special people.
d) Adding answers is a legitimate multiple-choice test taking skill. Try it. Your teachers will think you're clever and will admire your coolness.
e) Jesus, because Jesus is always the answer.

At the Gemeinde Cristi ("Gemeinde" or "community" is the German euphemism for "Church"), the Monday night group is going through The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus - check it out on Amazon. The group is reading the student version because it's also an improve-your-English type group, so the student version is shorter and easier. I read the student version, but I want to read the full version when I get back. This is the basic premise of the book: a court room journalist is an atheist, but when his wife becomes a Christian he takes the time to investigate the evidence behind the whole Christ thing for himself. This is the big question that's asked: if Jesus claimed to be the son of God, was he a liar? Crazy? Or legit? If "truth has nothing to fear from investigation" (Pepperdine's affirmation statement, but I don't know who said it first), asking questions just gets you closer to truth.

Like every week, we've had readers. Nothing too special has happened (depending on how you define "special"), but here are some of the questions/topics that come up:

God? Who or What is God? One or three?

Forever? What? Heaven and Hell?

What about other religions? What about good people who just don't believe in God?

Are Wrong and Right just relative?

What about politics? What about War? What about how messed up the world is?

I can't explain away these questions; they are legitimate questions. All I know is that every time I think about them, I come back to the same answer every time.

1 comment: